Tuesday, March 30, 2010

New Directions

March 30, 2010

From a new direction, things seem a little off.
Vaguely familiar, but not quite right...
Who would have thought trees had backsides, totally different from their fronts?
The lilacs, the large rock, the pines, they're all the same, no roots have lifted and moved.
Yet I still feel an eerie sense of changedness, and I stop for a moment to take in the newness.
As small as this stand of trees is, the gray weather leaves me looking over my shoulder for the Big Bad Wolf... Or maybe it's the Big Bad Seagull I should fear.
There it is now, my stump, my homeplace in this piece of woods.
A slight rotation to the left and all is right again.
I sit, relieved. I hear the familiar crackling noise of a squirrel's midday pinecone snack.
And now, I wonder, in which direction will I leave?

No comments:

Post a Comment